Psion Teklogix's WorkAbout Pro Handheld and RFID




Over the last couple of weeks I have highlighted a lot of handheld PDAs that I have found interesting, however, when I walk the halls of our offices and look on the desks of our professional services teams, I see a whole lot of the Psion Teklogix WorkAbout Pro. I know my team has loaded our PointSync mobile software client onto hundreds of these handhelds recently. They are popular with companies that need a rugged handheld that can be opened up and configured with a large variety of different add-ons. For example, if you want a basic pocket pc in a rugged case today, but will soon need to add a GPRS wireless card, or a GPS receiver, or a RFID reader, the WorkAbout Pro is a good option. It can be reconfigured at will with in minutes. The WorkAbout Pro shown in the image above has an add-on RFID reader attached. This one was used for tracking cattle IDs using passive RFID ear tags.


The ability to reconfigure your industrial/rugged device should not be taken for granted. Most industrial grade handhelds come pre-configured and do not allow you to change the configuration once they are purchased. The WorkAbout Pro is the one industrial grade handheld that I have seen that gives the user the flexibility to change and upgrade after the purchase.

No comments:

Featured Post

Leadership Advice from a Futurist - A Reading

Leadership is hard.  So for all the leaders and want-to-be leaders out there, here is some advice that I hope you will find useful. ***...