QR Codes and Mobile Retailing Applications

Home Depot iPhone App
I was sitting in my office chair today reading mail.  I received a magazine that had a QR code prominently displayed on a page.  I grabbed my iPhone 4, opened my Red Laser application and snapped a photo of the QR code.  A message instantly popped up asking if I approved - I said yes.  Immediately, my browser launched and a person was talking to me about their product.  I LOVED IT!

Think of the way companies can change their marketing and sales approach by having their very best sales and marketing spokesperson deliver key product messages to anyone with a smartphone and internet connection anywhere in the world.  No longer do you have to ask the sixteen year old sales assistant complex questions.  You can simply open a mobile application that supports QR codes, click on a sign or advertisement and learn about the product from an expert.

There is so much going on in mobile retailing and marketing at this time.  I love the Home Depot iPhone app and what they have done with it.  The app includes things like:
  • Store locator
  • Toolboxs
  • Product catalogs
  • Caliper
  • Nut and bolt finder
  • How to videos
  • Buy and send e-gift cards
  • Check gift card balances
I have spoken often this year with Ed Krufka of Smartsoft Mobile Solutions about the work they are doing in the mobile retailing space.  There is much more to come in 2011!  I read Ben Lee's blog often to keep up on developments in this area.

***************************************************
Kevin Benedict, SAP Mentor, SAP Top Contributor, Mobile and M2M Industry Analyst
Phone +1 208-991-4410
Follow me on Twitter @krbenedict
Join SAP Enterprise Mobility on Linkedin:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=2823585&trk=anet_ug_grppro

Full Disclosure: I am an independent mobility consultant, mobility analyst, writer and Web 2.0 marketing professional. I work with and have worked with many of the companies mentioned in my articles.

No comments:

Featured Post

Leadership Advice from a Futurist - A Reading

Leadership is hard.  So for all the leaders and want-to-be leaders out there, here is some advice that I hope you will find useful. ***...